Cloudflare is partnering with Microsoft Edge to offer a built-in VPN service called “Edge Secure Network VPN” and the technology behind it. Users can access the VPN feature within the browser settings. This VPN service is designed to enhance Privacy and security for Internet users.
According to Cloudflare, their VPN service is not a typical VPN but rather a Privacy Proxy Platform. Instead of a VPN protocol, it uses HTTP CONNECT, a method defined in the HTTP standard that proxies traffic by establishing a tunnel and sending reliable and ordered streams through it.
Here’s how it works:
- When you turn on Edge Secure Network, traffic is sent through a Cloudflare server.
- The Cloudflare server encrypts your traffic and sends it to the website you’re visiting.
- The website responds, and the Cloudflare server sends the response back to you.
- The Cloudflare server decrypts the response and sends it to you.
A few benefits:
- Your traffic is encrypted. This means no one can see what websites you’re visiting or what data you’re sending and receiving.
- Your IP address is hidden. The Cloudflare server uses its IP address to communicate with websites, so your real IP address is hidden.
- Your traffic is routed through a global network of servers. This makes it harder for websites to track you and for attackers to steal your data.
To turn on Edge Secure Network:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click the three dots in the top right corner of the window.
- Click Settings.
- Click Privacy, search, and services.
- Scroll down to Secure Network and turn it on.
Simply put, Cloudflare and Microsoft Edge teamed up to give you a private and secure way to browse the internet. It stops companies from tracking you and keeps your information safe.