Build 88.0.702.0 is now live for Edge Insiders in the Dev channel. This latest build updates the icons in the web browser to be more in line with Microsoft’s modern design aesthetic, improves coupon discovery, adds the ability to screenshot an entire website via Web Capture, and now allows users to add text notes to PDF files on Windows.
Here’s the full release notes:
- Added the ability to add text notes to PDFs. Note that support is limited to Windows for now. For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/pdf-note-taking-enhanced-with-support-for-text-comme….
- Added the ability for Edge to proactively find and show coupons while shopping. Note that this feature is not available for work and school accounts.
- Rolled out support for automatic deduplication of favorites more broadly. Now, deduplication will occur every time favorites are synced to the device.
- Added the ability to take a screenshot of the entire webpage using Web Capture.
- Added settings to the Pinning Wizard to generate more default suggestions.
- Added support in the IE mode sitelist to be able to specify schemes (http/https) alongside the host and path.
- Added new management policies to configure whether or not Sleeping Tabs are Enabled, to configure the Timeout until they go to sleep, and to configure the list of URLs that are Blocked from going to sleep. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet.
- Enabled support for the management policy to Block External Extensions from Chromium.
- Updated icons across Edge to be more consistent with the Fluent design scheme.
- Fixed an issue where adding a favorite directly from the Favorites management page sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where Edge’s first startup after rebooting a device sometimes hangs.
- Fixed an issue where using the Favorites menu sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes crash.
- Fixed a crash when closing a PDF.
- Fixed a crash when printing a PDF.
- Fixed a crash when closing popups.
- Fixed a crash when shutting down the browser.
- Fixed an issue where signing into a browser profile that has previously been signed out of will sometimes crash the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the F6 key sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when closing the Sleeping Tabs awareness dialog.
- Fixed a crash when opening a PDF that will end up in an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes won’t launch on Windows Server or other Windows accounts that elevate everything by default.
- Fixed an issue where pages sometimes crash on load.
- Fixed a crash when navigating to websites.
- Fixed a hang during browser shutdown.
- Fixed an issue where installing a website as an application sometimes fails if the site has already been pinned to the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where pinning Edge to the Taskbar sometimes results in a second copy of Edge on the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the feedback dialog doesn’t appear.
- Fixed an issue where adding a site to the “Do not clear” list in the setting to clear cookies and other site data when the browser is closed sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping favorites to rearrange them from the Favorites menu sometimes results in the favorites being dropped in a different place than shown or intended.
- Fixed an issue where the indicator that a tab is playing audio sometimes doesn’t appear for certain types of media.
- Fixed an issue where sorting or filtering cookies on the Cookies management page sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where closing a Web Capture too quickly after copying it sometimes results in the copy failing.
- Fixed an issue where Guided Switch sometimes opens the wrong page when links are redirected from personal profiles to work/school profiles.
- Fixed an issue where navigations that are redirected to full IE leave behind a blank tab in Edge.
- Fixed an issue where the management policy to set the Printing Paper Size Default doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the Information Protection icon sometimes appears in the address bar when it shouldn’t.
- Fixed an issue where certain UI text isn’t visible when using custom themes.
- Deprecated the management policy to enable Proactive Auth.
- Temporarily removed the ability to pin a website installed as an app to the desktop or Start Menu from edge://apps. Note that generic websites can still be pinned to the Taskbar and Start Menu from … > More tools.
- Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux. As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled. We’re currently investigating.
- Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube. As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14… for more details.
- Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error. The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it.
- Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load. This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
In other Edge Insider news, both Dev and Canary channels now have access to improved history and tab functionality.