Dune: Awakening, an upcoming open world survival MMO (massively multiplayer online game,) was officially announced last night during the Gamescom 2022 Opening Night Live broadcast.
The game appears to be based on the incredibly popular Dune book series, as opposed to the recently released (and brilliant) Dune film featuring Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya, and will task players with surviving in the wilds of the desert planet of Arrakis while gathering resources, powering up abilities, and rising above other real-world players in rank and reputation.
A brief teaser for Dune: Awakening has been released and it offers some genuinely impressive visuals in addition to offer hints at some of the situations players may find themselves in. Whether this trailer reflects what the actual game looks like though will remain to be seen.
An official website for Dune: Awakening has also gone live and offers some more clues at game locations, environments, missions, and gameplay mechanics.
Here’s the official description currently given for Dune: Awakening on the site:
Dune: Awakening combines the grittiness and creativity of survival games with the social interactivity of large-scale, persistent multiplayer games to create a unique and ambitious Open World Survival MMO. Rise from survival to dominance in a vast and seamless Arrakis shared by thousands of players.
- Survive the most dangerous planet in the universe. Build shelters against sandstorms, maintain your stillsuit, and master the old ways to walk even the deepest deserts. Avoid or be devoured by the colossal sandworms that dwell beneath the sands.
- Explore the ever-changing face of Arrakis. Walk the ruins of long-forgotten biological testing stations, scavenge the wreckage of fallen spaceships, and wander the dusty halls of abandoned sietches. Head into unmapped sectors and be the first to discover secrets and riches before the coriolis storms once again shift the sands and alter the landscape.
- Control the spice, control Arrakis. Hunt for spice blooms and deploy your harvester, then protect it from opportunistic raiders and rival factions. Soak the sand in blood as massive battles shift seamlessly from foot to vehicles and from ground to ornithopters in the sky.
- Make plans within plans. Make a name for yourself among the inhabitants of Arrakis. Wield intrigue and force to influence the Landsraad and impact the world. Build your own faction through spice harvesting, trade, subterfuge, and open conflict.
- Awaken the sleeper. Tailor every aspect of your character. Consume spice to conquer your senses and acquire powerful abilities. Hone your craft to become sought out for the finest creations. Construct your fortress in the style of your choosing. The journey is yours to shape.
Dune: Awakening will release on Microsoft’s Xbox Series S and X consoles, Windows PC, and Sony’s PS5 console. No date or release window has been confirmed yet though interested gamers are encouraged to sign up for the upcoming Beta which will take place at some unspecified time in the future.
Funcom, Dune: Awakening’s developer, first attained the rights for a Dune video game back in 2019. Various statements had been made by Funcom employees that same year about the open world nature of their planned Dune video game though few other details had been made publically available until now.
Dune video games are a surprisingly rare thing given the franchise’s Sci-Fi settings and lore. The latest notable Dune-related content was the recent Fortnite collaboration which added Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya’s characters from the Dune movie to the game alongside an emote, Glider, and some Back Blings.