Acer has announced some exciting new devices in the Liquid Jade Primo Windows 10 Mobile smartphone (which deserves some kudos just for the name) and the Aspire V Nitro high-end Windows 10 notebook. The company isn’t leaving everyday businesspeople out of the mix, however, with the announcement of the Travelmate P648.
Designed for the road warrior who values weight and durability above all else, the Travelmate P648 is built with lightweight yet strong carbon and glass fiber in the lid and magnesium-aluminum alloy elsewhere. The machine is equipped to please in other ways as well:
– With 6th generation Intel® Core™ processors, the Acer TravelMate P648 series commercial notebooks deliver speed and performance for maximum productivity and multi-tasking for business travelers and other professionals
– Industry’s first notebook to feature Qualcomm Atheros 802.11ad multi-band wireless connectivity for networking, for up to 10 times faster speeds than 802.11ac, and Thunderbolt™ 3 for ultrafast data transfer and 4K displays
– Built to withstand the rigors of travel, the series features an ultra-slim and robust design with 14-inch carbon with glass fiber-protected lids, spill-resistant keyboards and commercial grade reliability
– Powerful and secure computing with 512MB solid state drives and corporate-level features, including triple display support and leading manageability and security tools
– Multiple configurations to meet a range of budgets, the series offers up to an Intel® Core™ i7 processor with vPro options, Full HD IPS display and NVIDIA® GeForce® 840M discrete graphics
– Optional ProDock with a wide port range is perfect for use in the office
– Up to 8 hours of battery life, enough for a transcontinental flight
Other notable features include:
- Card reader
- HDMI, Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Type-C), and three USB 3.0 ports
- Optional Acer ProDock Docking Station
- 14-inch screens up to Full HD
- Up to Nvidia GeForce 940M graphics with 2GB VRAM
- 4GB DDR4 RAM upgradable to 20GB
The TravelMate P658 also comes with some tools that are well-suited to the mobile professional:
– The TravelMate P648 is outfitted with powerful security software and hardware as well as time-saving management features to simplify the service and upgrade of many of its internal components.
– Acer ProShield Manager, a suite of both security and management tools, safeguards valuable data. It uses pre-boot authentication to protect the notebook from the BIOS to the application level. Users can create a Personal Secure Drive (PSD) to seamlessly store and encrypt all critical files, preventing data from being accessed if the notebook is lost or stolen. In addition, it provides an automated solution for managing IT assets remotely.
– An integrated biometric fingerprint reader paired with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 reader protects the system from unauthorized access and a Kensington lock enables it to be secured to a desk.
– Acer Office Manager (AOM), a manageability solution, lets IT professionals deploy security policies, monitor IT assets, and schedule maintenance tasks. Plus, Intel vPro with Active Management Technology enables them to administrate software and hardware computing assets.
The machine will run Windows 10 Pro and start at $799.99 and will be available in North America starting in April 2016. In EMEA, the machine will start at €999 and ship in April, and China will see the TravelMate P648 in February starting at ¥6,999. We’ll keep you updated on this and more new technology on our dedicated CES 2016 page.