Sometimes, you may find yourself running into trouble with an Xbox Wireless Controller driver error, or the controller not registering button presses on Windows 11.
Just like on Windows 10, it’s really easy to update an Xbox controller using a Windows 11 PC. Just install the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store, plug in the controller to your PC, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Within a few moments, the Xbox Accessories app will update your controller and you’ll be back gaming in no time.
Fix the Xbox Wireless Controller driver error
More than a few Windows users report connectivity issues with their Xbox controllers since the upgrade to Windows 11. The common problem that people run into is when trying to connect or “pair” an Xbox controller to PC via Bluetooth.
When connecting an Xbox controller via Bluetooth, people may run into problems. The only real way to connect an Xbox controller to your PC is by using the Xbox Accessories app on Windows 11.
Xbox Accessories is an app that helps you edit the functions and buttons of Xbox Wireless Controllers, headsets, and other related Microsoft gaming accessories.
Update Xbox Wireless Controller with Xbox Accessories app
Here’s how to update and use your Xbox controller with the Xbox Accessories app on Windows 11.
1. Download and install the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store.
2. Open the Xbox Accessories app on your PC.
3. Connect your controller to your PC using USB as shown and click Continue when you are ready to update your controller.
4. Once the update is finished, you can use the Xbox Accessories app to check for new firmware updates for your controller(s) and other Xbox peripherals. Click the three-dot menu underneath your preferred controller.
5. From here, you can check if updates are available, rename your controller, vibrate the controller, or turn on Copilot. Copilot allows you to use two controllers to act as one in games and apps.
The person who turns on Copilot for their controller is the pilot. The pilot gets all Xbox achievements and gamerscore. The other person is the copilot and does not get any credit for Xbox achievements or gamerscore.
The Xbox Wireless Controller driver error I experienced stemmed from issues with my Bluetooth connection to my PC. Instead of dealing with issues connecting via Bluetooth, I found better control and less latency by using the Xbox Wireless Adapter on Windows 11.
What Xbox Wireless Controller driver error have you encountered on Windows 11? Let us know in the comments!