Meta CEO, Mark Zuckerberg took to Facebook to announce the launch that the company is currently testing a new subscription service, Meta Verified. Much like the Twitter Blue subscription, the new offering will grant users a verified blue badge, ultimately increasing their visibility across Facebook and Instagram.
Here’s everything you’ll get when you sign up for the service:
- A verified badge, confirming you’re the real you and that your account has been authenticated with a government ID.
- More protection from impersonation with proactive account monitoring for impersonators who might target people with growing online audiences.
- Help when you need it with access to a real person for common account issues.
- Increased visibility and reach with prominence in some areas of the platform– like search, comments and recommendations.
- Exclusive features to express yourself in unique ways.
What’s more, the service will also grant users access to exclusive stickers that they can use while creating Reels and posting Stories. Creators will also receive 100 free stars per month, the digital currency used to tip creators on Facebook.
The subscription will cost you $11.99/month on the web or $14.99/month on iOS and Android. The service is rolling out to users in New Zealand and Australia this week, and will gradually get to other countries.
It is worth noting that the Meta Verified badge isn’t available to businesses yet. You’ll also need to go over the verification process all over again when you want to change your username, profile picture, or birthday.
To sign up for this service, you must be able to meet the minimum activity requirements, be 18 years and above and submit a government ID that matches both the username and photo you’re using on either your Facebook or Instagram account. Meta further indicated that no changes will be made to accounts that had already been verified using its previous requirements.
Meta further indicated:
Long term, we want to build a subscription offering that’s valuable to everyone, including creators, businesses and our community at large. As part of this vision, we are evolving the meaning of the verified badge so we can expand access to verification and more people can trust the accounts they interact with are authentic.
What are your thoughts on this new Meta subscription service? Let us know below.