As 2016 is coming to a close, the OnMSFT team took an in-depth look at at some of Microsoft’s biggest accomplishments this year including the Windows Insider program, the extension of the Surface portfolio and more. The company pretty much did the same during the last episode of This Week On Windows, which also highlighted some of this year’s announcements which will likely have a big impact next year.
Here are the bright spots that Microsoft’s Chaitanya Sareen and Kate Yeager discussed during their walk down memory lane:
- The release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which brought many new features such as the Ink Workspace, Edge extensions and Cortana above the lockscreen
- The introduction of the Windows 10 Creators Update at Microsoft’s October event
- The launch of new Surface hardware including the Surface Studio all-in-one PC, the Surface Dial and the Surface Book with Performance Base
- The democratization of mixed reality thanks to the integration of Windows Holographic into Windows 10, with new AR devices to be launched by third-party manufacturers next year.
- A partnership with Qualcomm to bring full Windows 10 to ARM devices, making it possible for manufacturers to design “cellular PCs” that support Win32 apps through emulation.
- Xbox Play Anywhere, a new initiative which allows gamers to buy a digital game once and play it on both their Xbox One and Windows 10 PC
- The release of Minecraft: Education Edition, opening new opportunities for teachers to embrace the modern classroom.
Do you think this video accurately sums up Microsoft’s biggest highlights of 2016, or would you have added other items to the list? If so, let us know which ones in the comments below.