New year, new build.
Sixteen days into 2020 and Fast Ring Insiders are being greeted with a shiny new build to test in preview 19546.
As with other builds as of late, there isn’t much in the way of new features, but a handful of issues have been addressed, however, an equal number of known issues have been reported.
Here’s what’s been changed, improved, fixed as well as what to keep in mind before downloading.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in Timeline not showing any activities.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Outlook search not working for some.
- We fixed an issue significantly impacting Task View reliability for some.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Spatial Sound -> Off in the sound menu caused Explorer.exe to crash.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We are aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected.
- The cloud recovery option for Reset this PC isn’t working on this build. Please use the local reinstall option when performing Reset this PC.
- We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We’re investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
- We’re looking into reports of certain external USB 3.0 drives not responding with Start Code 10 after they’re attached.
- The Optimize Drives Control Panel is incorrectly reporting that optimization has never run on some devices. Optimization is completing successfully, even though it is not reflected in the UI.
- The Documents section under Privacy has a broken icon (just a rectangle).
- Remote Desktop Connection crashes when attempting to connect to multiple sessions.
- Snipping isn’t working on secondary monitors.
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating your reports. As a workaround if you encounter this, please change the focus to another application or editing area and back to the original and try again. Alternatively, you can go to Task Manager and end the “TextInputHost.exe” task from the Details tab, and it should work afterwards.
Per usual, the update is currently being rolled out, if it’s not listed under Windows Update settings, it can be manually initiated with a click of a button.
Happy downloading, Insiders!