Developer id Software and publisher Bethesda Softworks have announced today that they will release a new free update for their popular shooter Doom tomorrow, July 29 (via Polygon). The “Free Update 2” will bring two new multiplayer modes as well as new features and content for the SnapMap level creation tool for all Doom players.
In case you’re wondering, the following new multiplayer modes will be playable on any existing or future maps:
- “Exodus” is a one-flag capture-the-flag mode with an added twist of constantly moving bases and flags.
- “Sector” is an objective-based capture-and-hold mode where players compete to take control of zones and then hold them to score points.
Next, SnapMap is getting the following new content and updates:
- Customizable weapon wheel functionality – so players can carry and select multiple weapons, just like the campaign.
- Jump pads with logic to set distance, speed and direction.
- 30 brand-new Hell-themed modules.
- An expanded weapon list.
- A new playable demon, the Mancubus.
- A laundry list of improvements to the Community HUB, editor and logic capabilities.
To invite all Doom players to try the new features as soon as tomorrow, id Software and Bethesda Softworks have also announced a double XP weekend from July 29 to 31. You can watch a video recap of the “Free Update 2 below:
But that’s not all, as the game’s first premium multiplayer DLC, “Unto the Evil”, will be released on August 5. The downloadable content will include three new multiplayer maps, a brand-new playable demon called The Harvester, a new weapon (the EMG Mark V pistol), the new Kinetic Mine equipment, a bad-ass robotic armor set with new customization options, new hack modules, taunts and more. The add-on will cost $14.99/€14.99/£11.99 and all the new content will be usable in all existing maps and modes.
After the shooter’s single campaign has received critical acclaim earlier this year, it’s great to see that id Software is now focusing on making Doom’s multiplayer mode a great experience as well. Let us know in the comments if you’re looking forward to trying the game’s new multiplayer content.